It is its versatility that makes chives such a great plant to grow with your kids. It is of course a culinary herb and part of the onion family, but its flowers are beautiful – a delicate ball of pinky, purple.
The child and family friendly properties of the chive plant Allium Schoenoprasum include :-
- It is a hardy perennial, which means it will come up every year.
- It has edible leaves and flowers.
- It requires little maintenance.
- It is relatively pest free.
- Its clumps will cope with being hit by balls.
This year in our house we have watched and photographed the flower heads developing, picked them as a cut flower and eaten both leaves and flowers. We still have some dried chive flowers in a vase. All from one plant. Not bad I reckon!
If you liked this then please take a look at other family friendly plants selected for our Floral Friday feature.